Thursday, May 20, 2010

May Day is the Time to Play....

As a "Cinco de Mayo" baby, I love my share of tacos and margaritas come birthday time... but this year I wanted to do things a little differently. I got to talking with my good friend Andy who is from England. He began telling me about May Day and all of it's unique traditions.

May day is a celebration of springtime fertility and longer days. It marks the end of Winter and is best known for its tradition of dancing the May pole. Some other cool customs are making flower crowns and garlands. My favorite tradition which my neighbor Jill taught me is to roll paper into a cone, fill it with fresh flowers, hang it on a neighbors door, ring the bell and run! Ha, this was too fun!

Since we were celebrating the birth of spring and many of my friends were born in April and May I decided it would be fun to have one big birthday celebration! On May Day we honored Kerstin, Heather, Andy, Joe, Jaden and Me!

The most memorable moment was when we danced the May Pole. It was so beautiful to see the colorful ribbons glistening in the sunlight. To hear the laughter and song. It was one of best experiences I have ever had.

Happy May!

xoxo ~Leanne



















3 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos- what a fun day too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it's Melissa (Amanda's sister-in-law). Just wanted to say I love love your guys' photos, style, and blog, especially the non-wedding posts - more of those please - their color and vivacity always brightens my day! Hope you're doing well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Heather and Melissa! Glad you like them! It is always fun for us to share our personal work and play. Glad they brighten your day! :)

    ReplyDelete